Friday 30 August 2019

Blue Mink hit banned by Gold Radio, Ofcom wants "context"

A song I hadn't heard for years and had nearly forgotten about was Melting Pot by Blue Mink which reached number three in 1969 so is a childhood memory. It's a rather pleasant song with what I always though was a great message. Using love to bring the world together.

Not what Ofcom thinks apparently and although it hasn't banned the song (though the station Gold has) because of it's outdated lyrics says stations who play it should provide some "context". A political lecture by the DJ perhaps. Do me a favour. I don't think this multi-racial band, the writers or anyone else ever intended to give offence, quite the opposite.

There's language we don't use anymore in the song it seems, a slur on the Chinese  amongst them, though not a term I recognise. They don't like the phrase "little Indian boy" either.

I'd say the message in this song was simply to bring people together. In a "Melting Pot" to populate the world with "Coffee coloured people by the score".

Fight back against this ridiculous kind of backwards censorship. Request your favourite Radio Station plays it for you and your friends!

Oh and remind Ofcom about some of the Rap lyrics I hear (actually try not to but that's another story) which promote misogyny, homophobia and violence. I know what I'd rather get rid of don't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment