Sunday 21 June 2020

Doctor Who: The New Counter-Measures - The Dalek Gambit


In addition to doing regular adventures of Doctor Who featuring various incarnations of the Doctor and/or his companions Big Finish also indulge in a number of other spin-offs. I have treated myself to the first Missy boxed set which was a joy and there is a second on the way but util now had not tried this particular series The Counter-Measures.

Being fascinated by the Daleks I just couldn't resist grabbing a copy The Dalek Gambit which also featured the Movellans with whom the Daleks have been at war for age yet rarely feature in the main canon. Off the top of my head I could only remember them from a Tom Baker adventure Destiny of the Daleks.

The New Counter-Measures: The Movellan Manoeuvre

Before playing I did momentarily consider waiting and ordering the previous CD as this was a continuation of a story. The Movellans had tried to invade the Earth and had been getting help from various human scientists but had been beaten by the intervention of our team from Counter-Measures and the British Army.

This time as they search the base wrecked in the fighting a new enemy appears killing the human allies of the Movellans. No prizes for guessing who. The battle for the survival of mankind begins..again.

Unlike other spin-off adventures I did find the characters difficult to relate to as I had no previous investment in them.  The story and production values where certainly good enough but as for whether I would collect any more of this series the jury is still out especially as Big Finish already produce so much more.

Available from: www.bigfinish.com

No comments:

Post a Comment