Tuesday 10 March 2020

I will not be silenced: In defence of Free Speech

Photo: Matt Brown Wikki CC

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear”

There were a number of political events planned for this month. Two of which I chose to support on this blog and my other social media which I would support (Free Tibet and International Women's Day) and one which I intended to oppose (Israel Apartheid Week in universities) .

Free Tibet caused no friction but generated little interest as is the problem every year I push the plight of the Tibetan people. The rally outside Downing Street was very small, just a couple of hundred people and not a lefty paper seller in sight. Not a cause for the usual protesters it would seem.

Israel Apartheid Week is about to begin and I've posted here and on FB. Just the usual arguments as expected. This will continue next week and I will intervene as best I can.

When it came to International Women's Day I solicited a couple of articles by women for my blo and Caroline Watson wrote in general about Women's Rights whilst Claudia Clare specifically concentrated on Lesbian Rights as divisions arise over the Trans-demands. A third article was published based on a campaign e-mail from Southall Black Sisters & One law for All about minority women's rights and Sharia Law.

The furore that the article about Lesbian Rights caused a furore on one Facebook forum to which I belong. It's a private group so I will have to ensure that neither it nor it's contributors can be identified by non-members but I was told by one woman who announced she was a lesbian that I should not post articles on these matters as I was not part of that community and latter actually added I was "not allowed", though by whom was never made clear. It certainly wasn't the pages Admin's rules.

The post was attacked as "transphobic" and "bigoted" though when asked which parts were there were no answers forthcoming and one self appointed defender of the cause attacked me as a privileged white male which later morphed into a "bigoted old man". All because I commented in defence of Women's sex based rights.

There were women and on trans-activist wring in agreement but it seems that behind the scenes these individuals were taking screen shots and preparing to have me (and probably others) reported to the Labour Party except they did discover that not being a member that would be pretty pointless.

The viciousness and bile from  the woke folk was appalling. I was accused on being "patronising" and "trying to speak for women". All I did and do here and elsewhere is offer an opinion. Take it or leave it, the readers choice though obviously I do hope to influence where I can otherwise what would be the point.

One humourless harridan in particular shocked me with her Messianic self-righteousness with bile and a dash of misandry. The inability of people to engage and tolerate differing viewpoints was actually spelled out openly by my original critic. She left the group as she couldn't handle the debate.

The woke/trans-activists tendency reflects very much the behaviour of the Corbynistas who accused their opponents of being "red Tories" or Blue Labour and much worse. The announcement by one individual that they had "moved on from second wave feminism" sounded so much like the Trots who broke from the Third International (the Comintern) to form the Fourth International.

Women's meetings have been disrupted and cancelled by this tendency, dissenting speakers, especially feminists "no platformed" and a campaign to expel supporters of Women's Place UK & the LGB Alliance.

The intolerance of the these people whether woke or supporters of the Corbyn tendency is legion. They present not just a danger to the Labour Party but to free speech and democracy.

The need to defend the right to freely speak one's opinion whether others like it or not must be defended. Otherwise next they will silence you.

No comments:

Post a Comment