Saturday 6 April 2019

Newcastle Today: National Quidditch Championships

QPL logo.png
Photo: By Jack Lennard

Waking up early this morning I switched on the radio to listen to the news. They must have been talking about Brexit because I manged to fall asleep. I woke again to listen to Saturday Live on Radio 4 which isn't normally on my schedule but amongst the stories they covered was the National Quidditch Championships which take place in Newcastle this weekend.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Book Cover.jpg

Yes you heard right. That's the wizards game played on flying broomsticks from the world of Harry Potter. Of course the broomsticks don't fly the player just run around the pitch with a broom between their legs chasing a ball. Sounds bloody dangerous to me but hey it's a free country and rugby is just as if not more physically demanding.

There is actually a League with some 17 teams in the UK, France, the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany.













Apparently JK Rowling has ignored any copyright issues and politely turned down invitations to matches and tournaments. Sometimes fans go maybe a little too far perhaps. I certainly know they do at Comic Conventions which is why I generally avoid those.

Still good luck to all the teams this weekend I'm sure you'll all have fun. If you are interested they are live streaming their matches on Facebook:  www.facebook.com/QuidditchUK

No comments:

Post a Comment