Friday 6 December 2019

A week through the radio.....







In this age of fake news and misinformation on the Internet I still choose The Times, Radio 4 and the World Service for my primary source of news. In fact since my enforced retirement I watch very little TV other than for DVDs preferring the radio for information and entertainment. I also tune into Radio 4 extra for old fashioned comedy and sometimes drama.

For music there's Planet Rock or radio Caroline depending on my mood.

As we enter the last week of one of the most divided and cantankerous general Elections I remember with so many people voting against the one they dislike rather than for their choice. Same for me. I am voting against Corbyn not that this will surprise my readers.

However at the beginning of the week I caught the tail end of a Radio 4 documentary about the millions of people who don't vote. There are so many and questions were asked bout whether voting should be compulsory or not. I believe people should use their vote but no one should be compelled to.

Thing is there are so many   who really do choose to say "None of the above" for a whole variety of reasons. A lot of those interviewed said their vote didn't make a difference. Many of these lived in "safe seats" where a donkey standing for the dominant local party would get elected.  I'm sure there are a few but I digress...

What really bothered me were those who said they didn't understand any of it. Some people take no notice of politics whatsoever. I was always shocked that one of my managers in the civil service admitted she never read a paper or watched the news. Strange especially in a public servants case. We had to always ensure impartiality which meant at least keeping a minimum eye on current affairs.

Then there was a programme about Lawrence of Arabia from the time when Britain was a, if not the major power in the world. It seems that our dramatising of the man was not shared by the Arabs. they mentioned him as a figure in their struggle but not to the extent that warranted a cinematic epic as much as I liked the film. Our imperial past still influences many in the background.

Today we were treated to a programme about the fall out between Hindu's and Sikhs in this Country following the Indian governments storming The Golden Temple in Amritsar held by Sikh militants. Three hundred people were killed. This was followed by Indira Ghandi's assassination by her Sikh bodyguards. Tragedy all round that reached our streets for a while.

The programme then turned to Ray Honeyford  a Head Teacher in a Bradford school who wrote about the problems of the failure of cultural integration. This led to protests outside his school by Sikhs. Something happening over LGB rights in Coventry today. My how times don't change just the groups that protest. This time it was local Muslims  prompted by extremists in their community.

Which brings me back to the coming election. With the possibility of large scale tactical voting the seeming collapse of the Brexit Party vote and many traditional Labour voters rejecting Corbyn the road ahead is set with difficulty. At least election night should prove interesting so plenty of strong coffee ladies and gents.

Return to you sofas for the election results!

In the meantime The Who's new album is released today. It's much more pleasant listening than yet another droning contest between Boris and Compo.

No comments:

Post a Comment