Monday 22 July 2019

Prog music on the rise again?

Other than politics and of course comics (for which I have a separate blog which will come out of hiatus shortly) regular readers will know that I have an interest in music.  Like many of my generation I was brought up in the age of Led Zeppelin, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson and so many more great bands that forever influenced my musical tastes.

Of course other genres did appeal and the Glam Rock scene produced some good stuff as well as some bad. Slade, T Rex, The Sweet even Mud had their moments, some more than others. The first single I ever purchased was In My Own Time by Family and the first album All Together Now from Argent. Two great bands that are often overlooked these days.

Some bands like Mott The Hoople managed to transform from Prog Rock to Glam Rock in their case courtesy of David Bowie who wrote their first real hit, All The Young Dudes which led to a string of singles and albums in the charts.

Of course music moves on and there are some good new bands out there especially in Europe where the Finns have produced Battle Beast and Nightwish, Sweden has Ghost, Holland has Within Temptation and Rotting Christ hails from Greece. There are far more.

Then there's the All-Girl Rock/Metal scene in Japan. Bands like Aldious, Lovebites, Baby Metal, Scandal and Mary's Blood are proving more than a match for the boys and are beginning to get an audience in both the UK and America

Most these bands have had their music played on this blog or my Facebook page (not all posts are public sorry) and I listen to my old favourites and new music on both Planet Rock and Radio Caroline.

However this month sees the publication of the 100th issue of Prog magazine something I don't normally buy but this is a landmark publication that demonstrates that both Prog Rock both new and old have an audience both young and old.

It comes packaged with a CD of new stuff which is playing as I type this article and a huge Jethro Tull Supplement.  The music is good and I hadn't heard of half of the bands here so with the help of Uncle You Tube I'm going to be exploring this new phenomenon.

I'll be back over the summer months with sounds both old and new to share. I suppose I'll continue with the political comment in between.........



No comments:

Post a Comment