Wednesday 4 September 2019

New Moon's In The Sky - Songs from 1970 Reviewed


























1970 was a pivotal year in British music as the sounds of the sixties began their transformation into what became known as progressive rock. Some of these bands were to disappear but others were to try to change and adapt. Others made a breakthrough. Some of these bands will be familiar even if these particular songs are not.

I was in my first year at secondary school in 1970 and it was in that year that I purchased my first ever single In My Own Time by Family. My knowledge of music was limited not just by age ut opportunity. We only has Radio One and Radio Luxembourg (in the evenings) the latter giving me a better introduction to the music scene with it's late night shows listened to under the bed-sheets as I should have been asleep at that hour.....

Cherry Records have released an interesting package of progressive sounds from 1970 under the title New Moons In The Sky, a 3 CD compilation of no less than 70 tracks from that year. I am only familiar with a few of these bands like Hawkwind, The Hollies, Tremoloes and Procol Harum to name a few but there are many I have never heard of and deserve an outing.

Sadly one track I wanted to play is not available anywhere on You Tube, Savwinkle & Turnerhopper whose track,  Your Mother Thinks I'm A Hoodlum was very listenable.  However I did want to share this pre-glam rock track by The Sweet. Very different and they were a much under-rated band amongst the prog rock community.




My next choice is also from a familiar band, The Move. This fairly long track simply called What? is an excellent piece of music I'd not heard before.





There are a few "novelty" pieces in this collection. One (The very last on the third CD is quite a serious piece by of all people Bill Oddie called On Ilkla' Moor Baht'At which is well worth a spin. However it was this "Beatles" like song by The Fut which sounds like John Lennon (and Yoko Ono attempted to copyright apparently) You Heard The Word.





Overall this is a nice little package with some interesting music well worth picking up if Prog Rock is your "thing".

New Moon In The Sky is available here: www.cherryred.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment