Wednesday 6 November 2019

Does PCS Need a Change of Direction?

















Guest Post by Andy Magee (PCS HMRC NI) (PC)

PCS has been around for a number of years. Often its General Secretary voices views on topical subjects of the day. Do such views represent the membership of PCS or are these the views of others? It’s a question I regularly ask myself and often when I look at the problems PCS members face I feel that these problems get lost in translation.

The role of PCS General Secretary is currently up for election. Balloting will commence shortly. Some may believe that the current incumbent is doing a fine job and will wholeheartedly support that candidate. Others like myself may see a change in this role leading to a change in the direction of PCS. I would like to see a change where the issues impacting members will be at the forefront of PCS as I believe often these issues get lost in the merry go round.

Important issues like pay, pay progression, pensions, jobs, job security, centralisation, compensation payments, work life balance and terms and conditions constantly circulate . However I feel that they never get the attention, focus and desire to make that difference that I and the other fee paying members deserve. Change for it's own sake is not the answer. However when things go off the boil or become stale is Change is refreshing.

Some may see little change or variety with the candidates standing for the role of PCS General Secretary. However I believe as voters and observers we must scrutinise what each candidate stands for and how this will impact on the direction of PCS. Will what they have to offer bring changes that you consider necessary? PCS cant be dead there are to many people that need it to work.

I will be casting my vote for a new candidate. Taking a gamble that the union can progress from what I consider is a position of no momentum to something that can shape PCS for the future. A change and future that I believe needs to start tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------

Balloting for the General Secretary Election runs from Thursday 7th November until Thursday 12th December

Use your vote for change.

No comments:

Post a Comment