Friday 16 October 2020

Hawkwind Light Orchestra - Carnivorous



























The latest studio album from Hawkwind came out today and it's title is an anagram of coronavirus as the album was recorded during the lock-down and the band put the pandemic down to the human desire to eat flesh. I didn't know Dave Brock and company were vegans but the enclosed booklet directs the reader ro a number of animal rights and vegan websites. 

Whist a supporter of animal rights and believe in the humane treatment of farm animals veganism is not for me even if I were able to eat such a diet (which I'm not able due to medical conditions) I wouldn't as humans are naturally omnivorous. That perhaps we should eat less meat and certainly avoid some species like bats and panagolins the latter of which are in danger of extinction due to the Chinese appetite for these animals which are basically "scaly ant-eaters" is clear I don't think veganism is the answer.

That aside there is of course the music. This is a much gentler version of Hawkwind that that from my youth and I've been a fan for years. Dave Brock continues to produce good listenable and challenging music at the same time. This album is a pleasant follow up to last year's All Aboard the Skylark.

I've actually chosen the penultimate track to feature on tonight's blog and I'm dedicating it to my friend Josh who agrees with my politics but not my musical choices. Can't win 'em all it would seem!




Official website: www.hawkwind.com

No comments:

Post a Comment