Saturday 17 October 2020

Howie's Corner blocked by Facebook

 













Image: By Time3000

Over the last few months Facebook users have been facing a number of problems caused in the main by the use of algorithms which restrict and censor users without any good reason. One of the problems that I suddenly faced was the imposition on limits on the sharing of posts from this blog.

When I first started using Facebook I was able to share posts with impunity but the algorithm suddenly started restricting me to no more than two which when I was taking an active part in discussions in four Labour Party Discussion groups caused a problem.

Trying to appeal this seemed occasionally to work but after sharing the post about the on-line Labour to Win Rally to just five groups I found not only that post removed as "spam" but a comment using a link on four other posts. Even my single post on John Lennon's new compilation album was removed as spam.

I sent in multiple appeals and other messages to Facebook yesterday but have had no response in the mean time every single post from my blog has now been blocked and removed along with the link on my home page though the comics blog remains unaffected.

Whilst I realise that problems of spamming exist I would hardly think four or five shares really counts as such from a private user. Considering the material Facebook allow on their pages I am understandably vexed. I have no idea if any appeal will now work and have to consider the future.

Despite erratic posting since my illness and retirement this blog has contained not just my opinion pieces and other interests particularly music and the occasional Doctor Who related post I have tried to make Howie's Corner a campaigning blog. Amongst the campaigns I have supported are Free Tibet, Free West Papua and the work Council of Ex Muslims in the UK. 

Howie's Corner has also stood against both political & religious extremism taken part in the fight against antisemitism and is now fighting for the modernisation of the Labour Party. Whilst not a full member I have joined an affiliated organisation the Jewish Labour Movement.

In response to Facebook's actions I have hurriedly set up a new blog to continue my work and will have to consider how both of my sites will work as in recent times the bulk of my readership has come via Facebook but not all. This editorial will appear her and on my new "back-up" site where I will be more careful with sharing as "staggering" shares over the day may allow me to continue my blogs interventions in the on-going debate inside Labour.

Readers can be assured that I will not be silenced by algorithms or anything else and I will continue to campaign on social media for the causes in which I believe through whatever methods are open to me. I maybe physically unable to intervene at meetings and on marches like in my youth but my mind remains intact unlike my body!

Please note: For the time being both blogs will continue to be updated until I make a decision on how to proceed. Howie's Corner has had well over a million reads, small beer perhaps but an audience exists. 

New blog: Howie's Corner Too

For Free Speech and Human Rights!

Howard Fuller

No comments:

Post a Comment