Wednesday 1 May 2019

One Million Views On, Time For Change?

Bored with Brexit, dismayed with Labour under Corbyn, concerned about Islamic terrorism, the rise of a violent ultra-right and the attacks on freedom of speech coming from all directions continue to motivate me to blog past my retirement.

The world is a wonderful place as I have discovered over sixty years on this planet especially following my own brush with death back in late 2017. I appreciate the extended lease of life awarded me by the fine people of the NHS. There's plenty of books, movies, comics and much music for me to enjoy.

At the same time the world we share is under threat from those who wish to do us harm like ISIS and those who would who betray us like Corbyn. They are not the sole threats but two that stand out to me. Perhaps it's because I'm Jewish, albeit an atheist one.

Since I am no longer a trade union activist this blog has represented my main method of trying to influence the world around me but even as Howie's Corner passes the Million Page View count this week, it remains little more than a ripple in the political ocean around me.

The long break in publication whilst I spent eight months in hospital made it hard work to recover a readership. Gradually the views have gone up but still mostly average half of what they were except during last years Labour Party conference when an audience was found for a while.

The nature of this blog did change as my disillusionment with politics grew but finally I have seen a glimmer of hope for the future. The establishment of Change UK by MP's breaking away from both the Labour and Conservative parties.

It's very early days yet and we will have to wait for the party to organise itself as the Euro-elections (for what they are worth) approach. The polls indicate some 10% may vote for us rising to 17% in London.  The need for an alternative to the main two parties has never been greater and the ability of people from across the past political spectrum to start to co-operate is a good start.

I admit I have been impatient to get involved. As we wait the outcome of the local elections tomorrow (which will probably be marred by a low turnout as Tories stay at home and Labour voters will be either their usual sluggish selves or abstain as many who have left may do) there is more reason to be hopeful about the Euro-elections.

The Brexit Party may be polling well but it is a one trick pony, only Change UK has a real long term future and that is something I will commit myself to in the coming months.

However this blog whilst fully supporting the Change UK project will remain independent and I have no intention of moderating my views on the controversial issues of the day. I want Change UK to be a radical party of the centre, not a moderate party. I've never been "moderate" about anything I do.

That includes my music so here's some Deep Purple to celebrate what I hope will be a new era with a classic from the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment