Thursday 19 July 2018

The NHS saved my life!



On November 11th 2017 I was rushed to hospital with an aneurysm. The doctors operated immediately but informed my girlfriend that  she should say goodbye to me. However somehow I got through the night and went on to have six more operations, all but one whilst I had an induced coma.

Waking up in late December I found my muscles had atrophied and could not even talk let alone do anything else. Thanks to the support of NHS doctors, nurses and others I eventually recovered enough to at least walk with a Zimmer Frame, though a wheelchair will be needed to go outside.

After 8 months & 5 days I finally returned home. Weak but alive and alert thanks to the NHS. Without this fine institution I would be dead.

My thanks to Dr Gibbs and his team for saving my life, Dr Srithan and his team for my recovery.  Lastly but far from least all the staff in Albert Ward for helping me over the last six months. You know who you are!

What happened to me came as a complete surprise. These things happen to "other" people or are dramatised on TV with such programs as Casualty and Holby City. However the sad fact of life is this could happen to anyone.



You, your partner/wife, children, parents and friends are at risk if the NHS was not there with a free at point of use service. The NHS staff work long 12 hour (plus in some cases) shifts and are always short handed.

All of us regardless of political orientation must ensure that those who govern over us are held to account over the NHS to preserve universal care and make sure Doctors, Nurses and all other staff have better pay and conditions.

Defend the National Health Service. You or someone you love or care for could need it!


 

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back Howie! I hope you make a full recovery. The NHS is our national treasure and it should be defended at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!...Wondered what had happened to you! We all only have the here and now...and when events such as yours occur it a humbling reminder of that.

    Great to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Vincent, they are much appreciated. I am very lucky to have survived and although I'm nowhere near fully recovered I will live life to the fullest! Shalom.

      Delete