Saturday 5 September 2020

Peephole In My Brain: The British Progressive Pop Sounds of 1971 Reviewed



























This is the follow up to a previous release from Cherry red Records on their Grapefruit label featuring music from the early seventies the last CD New Moons In The Sky covered the year 1970. Peephole In My Brain takes up the progressive scene in the following year 1971. An important year to me personally as this was when I had persuaded my parents to get me a record player and I started buying records.

This collection contains a couple of my early purchases (though not my first which was In My Own Time by Family) including this little number from Curved Air featuring my first crush ( I was 13) on a rock star the very pretty Sonja Christina!




This is a 3 CD collection containing no less than 71 songs which makes it not just a good historical record of the period but good value for money. There are lots of bands and artists I recall though in a lot of cases not the actual record. These include The Move, Status Quo, the Edgar Broughton Band, Colin Blunstone, Magna Carta, Medicine Head and John Kongos amongst others.

There are of course a lot of artists and bands featured with whom I am not familiar which is not surprising given access to music was extremely limited on both Radio and TV though The Old Grey Whistle Test  with "whispering" Bob Harris was a joy to watch especially as it featured bands I never would have otherwise come across. There was also Kid Jensen on the long departed and missed radio Luxembourg who used to do a show featuring Prog Rock/Metal late at night. I'm from the generation that has a transistor radio (nicknamed a tranny a term so out of use now) under the bed sheets!

Some of these tracks are more interesting/enjoyable than others but how that is judged will differ from person to person depending on individual taste. Personally I'd say the previous volume in this series was better in terms of content but this is still worth a buy if this period of music interests you.

For me the early seventies and the period of Prog Rock and early Heavy Metal influenced my musical tastes for life.

Here's a short track to end this quick review from one of my all-time favourites Emerson Lake and Palmer which is included on CD 2 in this collection



Available from: www.cherryred.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment