Wednesday 14 November 2018

King Charles and Brexit

Charles Prince of Wales.jpg
Photo: By Mark Jones

I will never forget waking up in the summer of 2016 to the news that Britain had voted to leave the European Union. It was a result I had never expected.  The second thing I will not forget is coming out of a coma in the winter of 2017 and seeing the news that everyone was still arguing about bloody Brexit.

A year later and the arguments still going on. Will the Prime Ministers deal get through Parliament. I have no idea but I hope so. I am sick of hearing about bloody Brexit. I'm not the only one. Outside of the political circles ordinary folk don't bother talking about it. Those that do limit themselves to ranting on Facebook because most of their friends and neighbours would probably just tell them to fuck off.

As I listen to Arlene Foster raging about Northern Ireland shouldn't be having separate rules from the mainland I groan at the hypocrisy. Northern Ireland has lots of different laws from the UK mainland. Abortion remains illegal as is Gay Marriage.

They even have different social security systems so that if someone moves to anywhere else in the UK and wishes to challenge a decision made by an officer in Northern Ireland no one in the rest of the UK can change it, the case has to be sent back to NI for any appeal.

I just want it all over. I accept the people voted to leave but a hard, no deal Brexit is a dangerous road to take no matter what Jacob Rees-Mogg MP for for the Nineteenth Century says. He's bloody well rich enough to deal with the consequences. The vast bulk of us are not.

I genuinely feel sorry for Theresa May having to deal with Brexit. It was posh boy David Cameron's fault. He didn't prepare for the referendum properly and I'm not actually convinced that we should have had one in the first place, but hey, here we are.

Cameron says he's bored and and wants to return to politics. I've two words for you mate, one of which is off. The expression I would have used in relation to Cameron is appropriate for Tony Blair as well. You've had your day as well. You won three elections, well done, but your legacy's fucked.

For some idiotic reason your faction Progress thought it was a jolly good wheeze to have people pay £3 and have a say about who is party leader. Led to every unwashed protester in the country crawling our of their collective pits to taking over the Labour Party. God if only you hadn't been so tolerant of old Steptoe, now do one, times up.

Meanwhile the Prince of Wales has had his 70th Birthday and is still waiting for his turn to be Monarch. However mum's still going strong and the Queen Mother lived to over a hundred so you going to have to wait.

Now some people, myself included have mused with the the idea of skipping a generation to allow Prince William to ascend to the throne, but that's not how it works. When the Queen dies Charles automatically becomes King. That's how accession works period.

There was a time when Charles wasn't popular because of the breakup of his marriage to Princess
Diana. Thing is it's not our business really is it. How many times have the rest of the public broken up with their wives and girlfriends? It happens. As for the fact he talks to plants so what? I natter to my cat. had a plant once. Smoked it, so there!

Charles will be King, that's (almost) a certainty as he could theoretically pass away before his mum. He's only a few years older than I am and I nearly popped me clogs a year ago. Nothings set in stone.

I've more or less grown up watching the Prince of Wales on TV since I was a lad and seen him do everything from make a Goon style video to talk about the danger of plastic in the environment at the age of 20 no less. Ahead of his time on some issues and then he spoils it with bollocks about architecture. Oh well can't agree on everything.

Still rather have a hereditary King than a President. Trump anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment