Tuesday 16 October 2018

Sixty Years of Blue Peter! Down Shep!


Photo: By RockingSummer

There are two programmes from the sixties that used to be essential viewing. The first was Doctor Who of which I recall seeing the first episode of at the age of 7 and have followed the good Doctor to this day. The other programme that we tuned into as a family was Blue Peter.

I don't recall when I started watching this but at tea time twice a week it was always on with mum and dad watching this as avidly as I did. The first presenting team I remember was Christopher Tracey with Valerie Singleton and then John Noakes. Peter Purves came a little later.



This programme had started broadcasting in 1958 before my memory (I was err..one!) and has continued to this day though sadly sidelined onto the BBC children's Channel CBBC. It's viewing figures have dropped which is sad but I haven't watched it in years but will tonight for their anniversary programme.

Pity they don't bring it back to BBC 1 prime time to be the family show it was always meant to be!

There were times when both my favourite shows overlapped as this clip wonderfully illustrates:



I always remember John Noakes now sadly departed taking risks that scared the pants off both me and everyone else who watched. Up chimneys and Nelson's Column years before 'elf & safety really kicked in....



Then there was the Blue Peter garden (once vandalised) and their time capsule!



Along came Leslie Judd and  I gradually grew out of the programme simply because I was never home at the right time due to college and other commitments.

Any readers get a Blue Peter Badge?

BBC website: Blue Peter

CBBC: Today at 5:00 (27 past presenters!)

BBC Radio 2 has a celebration at 9PM this evening. 

Pity they don't bring it back to BBC 1 prime time to be the family show it was always meant to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment